Sedation for Dental Anxiety
From tooth extraction to more intensive procedures or even a regularly scheduled cleaning, we understand that some individuals have dental anxiety. Having a fear of the dentist is nothing to be embarrassed about! Here at Rockwall Oral Surgery, we have options to make any of our patients with dental anxiety more at ease.
Types of Sedation
- Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous Oxide, a form of minimal sedation, is often referred to as laughing gas. This type of sedation is breathed in through the nose after being mixed with oxygen.
- Oral Sedation: Oral sedation is taken through medication by mouth. Dr. Pollock will provide patients with a prescription to take an hour before any procedure. The medication takes effect in about 30 minutes. However, with this option, the sedation can take longer to wear off. Individuals that choose this route may need someone to drive them home.
- Intravenous(IV) Sedation: IV sedation is the deepest level of sedation. This sedation refers to general anesthesia. The medication is delivered into the bloodstream through an IV and will work right away. For those who choose this option, someone will need to drive them home after their appointment.
The Benefits of Using Sedation
Believe it or not, sedation can lead to better health. You may be asking yourself how this is possible. Let us explain! When patients have anxiety over coming into the office, they avoid having procedures or routine appointments done. With the option of sedation, however, patients are more likely to come in to get their dental needs taken care of, leading to better oral health. A few of the benefits of using sedation during your next oral surgery are:
- Anxiety Relief: Even the most fearful patients can rest assured that sedation will make their appointment nice and easy.
- Pain Relief: When we use sedation during our procedures, the patient will not feel any pain nor remember the procedure.
- Quicker Surgery: Since the patient won’t be awake due to choosing one of our three sedation options, the procedures we offer at Rockwall Oral Surgery can be done quicker.
Anxiety-Free Oral Surgery
At Rockwall Oral Surgery, we take your oral health seriously and aim to do everything we can to ensure our patients get the same treatment that they need. To inquire about having sedation used in your next appointment, please call Rockwall Oral Surgery at (469) 264-8921 or via email at email@example.com.