Replacing a missing tooth with a permanent implant solution gives you all the function of a real tooth with no extra maintenance.
# What You Need to Know
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DENTAL IMPLANTS
Despite major improvements in professional dental care, millions of people still experience, decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. At Rockwall Oral Surgery, we offer some restorations to repair the function and appearance of your smile. If you are missing one or more teeth, we may recommend dental implants. Dental implants have revolutionized the way dentists treat tooth loss all over the world!
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants generally consist of three parts: the implant screw, the abutment (support structure), and the restoration. Most implant screws are made from titanium because this metal has the unique ability to fuse with living bone. Some implant screws are also made from zirconia for esthetic reasons. The implant screw attaches to an abutment to provide additional support for the restoration.
The type of restoration your receive depends on the number of teeth that need to be restored. We may use implants to support a single crown, a fixed bridge, or a full-arch bridge, denture, overdenture, or another treatment like All on 4. Most restoration is made from porcelain or zirconia. These materials have the same light-reflect properties as natural enamel, making them virtually indistinguishable for your real teeth.
Dental implants are the popular choice to replace missing teeth.
Learn about what’s involved in the implant process here.
The Dental Implant Process
During an initial consultation, Dr. Kevin Pollock will determine if you are a suitable candidate for implant treatment. If you have good oral and overall health, and the proper bone density and quantity, you will most likely qualify for treatment. We may also recommend treatment to address tooth decay or gum disease before we move forward with dental implants.
Treatment is usually broken up into two minor surgeries. During your first surgery, we will place the implant screw beneath the gum tissue and deep within the jawbone. Once the implant is in place, we will suture the incisions. Some restoration requires the placement of multiple implants.
After your first surgery, the implant and your jawbone will fuse together during the process of osseointegration. Most patients need to wait about nine months or so before we can perform your second surgery. During your second surgery, we will expose the implant screw and place the abutment. Once the abutment is in place, we will take an impression and use it to fabricate your restoration. The fabrication process usually takes several weeks to complete. In the meantime, we may give you a temporary to protect the implant site.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits to dental implants, including:
Are you ready to schedule your dental implant consultation in Rockwall or Sulphur Springs?
- Esthetics: Our implant restorations are made from the highest quality materials, such as porcelain or zirconia to provide the very best in esthetics.
- Comfort: Because your implant is supported by your jawbone, it eliminates the discomfort associated with other, more traditional restorations (see our dentures comparison). This comfort extends to basic tasks like speaking, eating, and smiling.
- Health benefits: Implants do not affect your surrounding teeth or tissues, unlike traditional bridges. They also help to preserve the bone underneath by providing constant stimulation.
- Durability: Dental implants have a 98% success rate and last for several decades. Under the proper care and maintenance, you implant may even last a lifetime.
- Convenience: Implants will function just like your natural teeth. They do not require any special treatment or appliances. In other words, you can brush and floss your implant restoration as you would any other tooth.