Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery Guide
For many teens, wisdom tooth removal surgery may be the first surgery they have ever had and the idea of “going under the knife” can be a bit frightening and cause a little anxiety. One thing that helps with that anxiety is being prepared for what to do when it comes to recovery time and getting back on your feet faster! Here is the best tips and tricks for recovering quickly from a wisdom tooth removal procedure right after surgery and a few days after:
What to Do and Not Do Immediately After Surgery
- Bite Down on the gauze to help the bleeding to stop
- Apply an ice pack to the outside of your face on each side. Make sure you wrap it in a towel and don’t put it directly on your skin. Leave on your face for 15 minutes at a time then take a break.
- Follow the directions given to you by the doctor for any pain medications.
- Avoid any strenuous activities.
- Do not drink out of straws or smoke anything. Do not do anything that involves a sucking motion as this could cause what is called dry socket and it is very painful.
- Prop your head up when you are sleeping. This will help reduce pressure to the mouth and make you feel more comfortable.
What to Do and Not Do 24-48 Hours After Surgery
- Make sure all drinks and food are room temperature. Avoid all hot and cold drinks and food.
- Avoid anything chewy or crunchy. Try soft foods for a while.
- Avoid brushing teeth near the extraction site for the first few days.
- Gently rinse your mouth with salt water to remove any food particles or sugars that accumulate in your mouth. Salt water will also help reduce pain.
- Keep your jaw moving to reduce stiffness. Do simple exercises like opening and closing your mouth a few times in a row every once in a while.
If you or your teen still has questions about their wisdom tooth removal procedure please feel free to give our office a call and we will be more than happy to answer them! Overall, it’s a very common procedure and healing is almost always quick and easy and you will likely be back on your feet in no time!